Thursday, November 21, 2013

Week 8: 10 Questions

Week 8_10 Questions to ask lawyer:
(Legal questions for to Photographers)
1. I was contacted by someone and asked if I would photograph her wedding.  I just want to know if I need a business license. I do photography as a hobby, not as a business.
2. Dealing with the issue of sales tax when discussing pricing options with your clients. Do you give them your package rates and let them know that __% sales tax will be added onto the final cost (assuming that the final product will be delivered in the same state your business operates in)? Or do you build the sales tax into the rates you discuss with your clients? Does it depend on the state?
3. Q: Can I photograph people and places as long as I am standing on public property?
4. Can I sell/publish photographs taken on public land?
5.  Can I sell photographs I take of private property?                                                                                     (Is it legal to take a picture of someone's house and use the image in blank photo note cards or framed enlargements without the owner's permission?)
 6. When asked by private security staff am I required to give my personal details?
 7.  When asked by the Police, am I required to give my personal details?
 8. Interesting question: Let’s say I’m out in the jungle and a monkey steals my camera and takes a bunch of pictures with it (there were some actual good shots too) Who (if anyone) owns the rights to the pictures?
9. Can a photographer use pictures of my baby to advertise without my consent?                                           (The photographer we used for our newborn baby shoot is using pictures of my infant daughter (without clothes on) to advertise with. I asked her to take the photos down, she refuses. What are my rights?)
10. Can I sell & or just present in an art gallery images of my child that is partially nude?                     Meaning very avant-garde/eclectic, making them look like living dolls, sometimes covered in moss or fairytale like designs, make it look dated(black & white/Sepia) something odd.




No comments:

Post a Comment